- How Does One Know Whether A Dog Should Be Put Down After The Attack?
- Will A Dog Be Put Down After Attacking Another Dog?
There are times when dogs attack other dogs incurring medical expenses. It usually happens when a dog feels threatened or scared.
If you own a dog, you might wonder will it be put down after attacking another animal. Read on to find out more.
How Does One Know Whether A Dog Should Be Put Down After The Attack?
The first thing we have to understand is that many factors play a role in determining whether a dog that attacked another should be put down or not. These factors include:
1. Severity Of The Attack
As you can imagine, the more severe the attack was, the higher the chances are that the attacking dog will need to be put down.
If the attack wasn’t severe enough to cause any severe injuries, it might be possible for the dog to be rehabilitated.
2. Damage Done To The Victim
This factor is crucial when deciding whether a dog should be put down or rehabilitated. If the victim suffered only minor injuries, it is usually good news for the attacking dog’s owner.
On the other hand, if the victim suffered significant injuries such as broken bones, it is more likely for the dog to be put down.
3. History Of Aggression
If your dog has a history of attacking other dogs before, the chances of it being put down increase. You will be also recommended to keep him away from people and animals until he learns how to behave appropriately around them.
4. The Breed Of The Dog
Some species, like pit bulls are known to be aggressive and are at higher risk of being put down for aggression issues.
5. Whether The Dog Was Provoked
It’s helpful to know whether the dog was provoked by another dog or its owner. For example, when a person throws a ball at your dog, he may get angry and attack.
Will A Dog Be Put Down After Attacking Another Dog?
In most cases, the answer to this question is NO. Still, a dog who attacks another animal incurs medical expenses. Therefore, the owner has to bear these costs.
Here Is What Happens If A Dog Attacks Another Dog In The USA
- In the USA, a dog owner is liable for damages caused by their dog, regardless of whether the dog was provoked. It includes physical injuries as well as mental suffering. If the injured dog lives, the owner is also liable for veterinary bills incurred during its treatment. If the injured pet dies from being mauled by the dog, the owner may face criminal charges.
- The law states that a dog owner can get compensation only if he proves that his dog did not act aggressively.
- If the injured party wins the case, the court may award punitive damages. These are meant to punish the owner. Punitive damages are awarded based on the severity of the attack.
- An owner cannot avoid liability simply by claiming that his dog acted defensively.
- The United States laws do not allow for the killing of any animal that has been involved in the act of aggression. It is only permitted when the animal suffers from severe injuries and cannot survive without medical treatment. Even though the law does not allow for the death penalty, many states have their own rules regarding this issue. For example, some states require owners to pay for the damages caused by their pets. Others also charge them for having committed animal cruelty.
- In New York State, an owner who lets their dog fight with another faces up to three years in prison. On the other hand, the same crime can lead to a fine of $500 or six months in jail in California.
- In some places, such as Florida, you can put your dog down if it bites someone. However, you cannot put it down t in other areas, such as New York.
How About In The UK?
- In the UK, a dog that attacks another animal is considered dangerous. Therefore, it is illegal to keep a dangerous animal in the house.
- It is also illegal to sell a dangerous animal to anyone else. If the owner fails to comply with these regulations, the police can seize the animal.
- If the animal is ill or suffering from a disease, the owner can be fined. However, if the animal is healthy, the owner can face two years in prison.
- If a dog bites another dog, and this happens twice within a month, then the owner may be forced to pay compensation to the owner of the damaged animal.
- In England and Wales, the Animal Welfare Act 2006 requires that dogs be kept under control not to injure others. The owner is also required to keep the dog away from other animals.
- In Scotland, a dog owner is legally required to prevent their dog from harming another living thing. The law states that a dog that harms another animal can be put down. However, the owner can appeal against this verdict.
The laws regarding dogs vary significantly across the world. Some countries have different rules than those in the United States.
For example, in the UK, a dog can be put down if it bites someone more than once a month. However, in the United States, you cannot kill a dog unless it has committed a serious crime.
Therefore, if you want to know whether your dog will be put down, you must check the local laws.
A passionate content creator on pet behavior, nutrition choices, and health, Mike is an experienced pet expert. He has been writing on multiple websites to compensate for his passion for cats. Mike grieves around plenty of pets in his parents’ house. At the start of his career, he had a sturdy intention to be a part of pet care by any means.
With his affiliation to Purrfect n’ Pawesome, he found a way to satiate his craving to participate in pet health, wellness, and behavior analysis. He has been a significant part of our team and a major contributor in equipping our site with useful, authentic, and research-backed articles.
“I love pets as much as I love to travel to explore multiple places and lifestyles. I have been attached to this pawsome platform for many years, and my experience regarding pets has enhanced significantly by using various devices to write articles. I believe in writing my thoughts and experiences, so I try to write down the experience and learnings for my readers no matter where I am and what my mood is.”