This question may sound bizarre as cats are known to be carnivores; thus, their meal is predominately meat.
Cats require proteins for the development of a strong heart, healthy reproductive system, and excellent vision.
But at times, you may find your cat eating unusual things such as melon and other fruits and vegetables.
So, the answer is YES! Cats can eat melon and their favourite is Cantaloupe melon.
However, they also eat honeydew melon and watermelon.
But why do cats eat melon? Is it because of the texture? Or is it because of the smell?.
Many human foods are not safe for your feline, as they can cause harm if consumed in large quantities. So, let’s find out why cats eat melon!
First and foremost, there are different types of melons, and none of them is poisonous.
Hence, your cat is safe, eating any type of melon – though in small quantities.
However, cats love cantaloupe melons, and there is no precise answer why.
Nevertheless, unlike cantaloupe melon, honeydew melon and watermelon have a milder taste.
Note that this has not been proven yet if it’s the reason cats love cantaloupe over honeydew and watermelon.
Why Do Cats Love Cantaloupe Melon?
Different scientists have different theories on why cats eat melon. But it is widely suggested that cats eat cantaloupe melon because of their smell.
Cantaloupe melon features volatiles that contains a large number of amino acids.
On the same note, amino acids are the building blocks of protein.
And since amino acids are the key contributors to a melon’s smell, there is a high chance that cantaloupe melon smells like the meat to your cat.
This may explain why cats are crazy about Cantaloupe melon when compared to the other two types.
What To Know Before Giving Your Cats Melon?
Whether you want to feed cantaloupe melon or any other type of melon to your cat as a treat, there are few things that you need to understand before doing so. These are as follows:
- Get rid of any trace of the rind before giving the melon to your cat.
- Eliminate all the seeds from the melon before feeding your cat. The seeds are not safe for your feline and may cause harm.
- Never feed the cat a whole piece of melon; instead, cut it into small pieces for ease of eating.
- Don’t include melon in the daily diet. It would be best if you fed your cat the melon once in a while.
Benefits Of Cats Eating Melon
All types of melons are nutritious to your cat.
This is because they contain essential vitamins and minerals that will help your feline grow strong and healthy.
Some of the gains of giving melon to your cat include:
- As stated above, it has several essential vitamins and minerals that can be beneficial to your cat. For instance, honeydew is an excellent source of potassium and vitamin. On the other hand, cantaloupe offers vitamin B and potassium, while watermelon is rich in potassium, thiamine, and folate.
- The melon can help create a strong bond between the pet owner and the pet when he/he feeds them the melon.
- It is a way of rewarding your cat by giving it a treat. Every time your cat does something commendable, you can gift them the melon. This will also help in creating a strong bond between the owner and the pet.
Is Melon Safe For Cats?
By now, you should be able to tell if cats can eat melon or not! The next question is – are melons safe for your cat? And the answer is – Yes! However, it would help if you fed them with moderation.
Giving them a lot of melon may be dangerous to their health.
Also, you should feed them occasionally. Avoid giving them melon rind or seeds as they may be poisonous to them.
If you have a cat at home and are wondering whether to give them melon or not, there is nothing to worry about.
You can feed your cat melon, but just a tiny chunk.
Start with cantaloupe melon, which is their favorite, and try giving them honeydew melon or watermelon.
Remember, you should not feed them melon regularly as it is not suitable for their health. Instead, give it to them as a treat once in a while.
Apart from melon, felines also eat other vegetables and fruits such as peas and pumpkins.
So, you can rotate them in their diet so that they can enjoy different meals.
Finally, even though cats can feed on melon, it is not acceptable to give it to Kittens.
This is because kittens require food that is rich in proteins so that they can grow up to become healthy adults.